During my second consecutive year at E3, one of the biggest announcements came from gaming studio Bethesda with their lately Fallout title. And while it drew immediate fan excitement, as more details came out during the week, a cloud of worry set in over the hardcore fanbase. Fallout 76 looks to depart from a number of the classic elements from the series and instead, head towards an always online/multiplayer experience, combining the settlement aspects from with the series fourth game with online play. While that doesn't sounds like a completely unenjoyable experience, the loss of progression is what has many fans, myself included, the most worried. Bethesda was pretty open about the possibility of some hostile players in the servers, also making note of the nuke feature, which would allow you to destroy someones base all together. Even still, Bethesda has a plan in order to prevent harassment in game, which is good but how far will that lean into the PvP aspect of the title itself? If you have a handful of players who happen to have more time to dedicate on the title, will it be a never ending upwards crawl to even stay alive in the server with them? Can you go about it solo or will the only worthwhile experience come from playing with a group? It also did not help that the title had no physical demo at E3 and as of now, our knowledge is still pretty limited. While I was a huge fan of the highly criticized Fallout 4, 76 is definitely the biggest departure from the series, and it will be interesting to see how the community will interact when this title launches November 14th, 2018.
After some rock weeks and the surprise announcement of a new online arena game, it looks like former Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski's Boss Key studios is no more. After numerous reports of trouble for last years online shooter Lawbreakers, Boss Key was looking to cash in on the Fortnite and PUBG formula with Radical Height but it looks like that title will not be coming to fruition. Cliff (Known popularly as Cliffy B.) released a statement on twitter earlier today stating that he is "going to take some time off and reflect" on the unfortunate news. This is was just shy of a month from accusations that Cliff's former studio was attempting to poach his employees from his new found studio. All in all, the creator behind the massively successful Gears of War franchise remained optimistic and has reassured gamers that the servers for Radical Height's beta will remain playable for the time being. The statement below can also be found on Cliffy B's personal twitter page.
The last we heard of No Man's Sky and developer Hello Games, the team was in some very hot water regarding some allegations of false advertising. While they were ultimately cleared, it didn't do much for the games struggling reputation to bring back disillusioned players but they might have a second chance to get it right later this year. As it turns out, a listing on the Italian Amazon page shows that the titled may be heading to the Xbox One console as soon as June 29th. The latest port will hopefully allow gamers the ability to meet up with one another, a feature originally promised with the launch of the game only to later to revealed to not be so. No Man's Sky currently has a 5/10 on Steam so we will have to see if the console version will bring in a new fanbase or if this games already cemented its fate.
After last years Omnic Uprising event, it looks like it's time to dive into the history of the villainous Black Watch. Overwatch dropped a trailer detailing the upcoming event, scheduled to run between April 10th-30th, which will have groups of four people team up against waves of enemies. Hopefully we will learn more about Blackwatch and get some new treats like sprays and skins, including the already revealed Moira skin pictured above. Take a look at the trailer and get ready for the event to launch next week!
Tomorrow, Xbox players will get to set sail in Rare's highly anticipated sea-fairing adventure game Sea of Thieves, and along with the celebration, the company has released a trailer featuring the best (former) cast member of the second season of Stranger Things, Sean Astin. Take a look at the hilarious live action trailer below and make sure to pre-order and pre-download the title so you can explore the open seas will all of your friends when the clock strikes midnight!
There is a strong debate about the upcoming Super Smash Bros title and their could be some evidence pointing to a surprising move. After the announcement of the title coming to the Switch, a lot of fans couldn't help but notice the silhouette's showing what looks like a handful of new characters coming to the game, suggesting the possibility that this could be an entirely new titles and not just a port of the Wii U/3DS versions. Given that the last Super Smash Bros title was released back in September of 2014 and has not had an update in content since 2016. Since we know (from the trailer) that the Inklings as well as Breathe of the Wild will be included, Nintendo would be best off to include these characters in the formerly released titles as well. There is also the fact that Hal Labs is developing the title, taking the reigns from Bandai/Namco who made the Wii U/3DS titles. There's also MAsahiro Sakurai's tweet about the title, asking the fans to wait for more information. It it also surprising that Sakurai is returning for the Switch title, given how spent he was during the creation of the last game and how it was only 4 short years ago since it's release. This is also given the fact that there was seven years between the release of Melee and Brawl and five years between Brawl and Wii U/3DS title. All in all, people are going to be getting their hands on Super Smash Bros for the Switch so looks like we just have to sit tight and wait for more news as it comes.
It's hard to remember Super Smash Bro's latest release all the way back in 2014 but Nintendo is finally ready to release the game on their latest console, the Nintendo Switch. While it left a lot of fans scratching their heads wondering why Nintendo wouldn't launch the console with the popular fighting title, it seems like its still going to work out in everyone's favor. Not only has the Switch been a wildly successful console (selling around 16.7 million units in its first year), but the short teaser trailer showed up a glimpse of the new addition of the Inklings from Splatoon as well as the Breath of the Wild Link and a dark silhouette that will hopefully tease more characters to come. Hopefully we will see the addition of some new levels as well. Also, with the addition of so many 3rd party titles to the Switch roster including the upcoming Dark Souls port and the just announced Crash Bandicoot game, we could potentially see the addition of more famous video games faces from other series. The timing also makes sense considering we are just past the one year anniversary of the Switch launch so it is smart of Nintendo to shower their large fanbase with loads of announcements like today's Nintendo Direct. With the joy con controller and the portability of the Switch, the experience of Super Smash Bros will be elevated to the next level, offering multiple game play experiences. While we have no set date, we do know that it is coming in 2018 and I would not be shocked if we saw more of it come E3 and a probable release toward the fall months/holiday season. No word on whether or not the Super Smash Bros for the 3DS or the now discontinued Wii U would be receiving these updated characters.
Take a look at all the major Nintendo Switch and 3DS announcements here brought to you by Yoshiyaki Koizumi and the team at Nintendo!
- For the Nintendo 3DS, Warioware Gold featuring micro-games from the Wario series due out 8/3. Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers is an action/tower defense title for the 3DS. It will also feature animal versions of player created mii characters. This title is due out on the eshop 5/24. Mario & Luigi: Bower's Inside Story has also been announced for the 3DS and will be out alongside a game mode for Bowser Jr in 2019.
- There is a very comical new trailer for Detective Pikachu, which is due out 3/23 and is available for pre-purchase today. There will also be two amiibos including one that is extra large of Deluxe Pikachu to be released the day of the games launch.
- Luigi's Mansion will now be released on the Nintendo 3DS. That will be launched on an unspecified date later this year.
- For the Nintendo Switch, a new trailer for next weeks Kirby Star Allies is shown off. Meta Knight, King Dedede, and other famous faces from the Kirby series will be allowed as in game allies. A demo for the title is available in the Switch eshop now.
- Okami is coming to the Nintendo Switch, allowing gamers to use either their finger tip or the detachable handheld controller for the brush strokes. Okami is coming to the Switch this summer.
- Sushi Strike: The Way of Sushido, a sushi battle/puzzle game is shown off and is due for both the Switch and 3DS 6/8.
- Octopath Traveler receives an update detailing new characters Tessa the Merchant as well as the Apothecary Alfen. We also learn more about the job customization and the official release date of 7/19 is announced alongside a special edition box set with an art books containing character bio's as well as a replica coin.
- Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is shown again with a series of mini games that takes the protagonist from No More Heroes into some wild internet minigames.
- A new look at Dark Souls on the Switch is shown as well as an announced amiibo featuring the Solaire of Astera. Both come out 5/25.
- A new look at Mario Tennis Aces is shown off, announcing that there is more than 15 playable characters. The direct broadcast also covers some of the basic game play mechanics and various shots you can make including the Zone shot which allows you to aim with your Nintendo Switch to pick where you want the ball to land. The game will feature a pre-launch online tournament before its release 6/22.
- Switch headlines include Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker which will take Toad to levels based on locations from Super Mario Odyssey. A version will also come to the 3DS and will launch 7/13. A trailer is shown for Undertale on the 3DS as well. All 3 of the Crash Bandicoot titles are coming to the Nintendo Switch 7/10. Little Nightmares: Complete Edition, an eerie indie title is coming to the Switch 5/18. South Park: The Fractured but Whole is also coming to the Nintendo Switch including the DLC will be released throughout the year and the game will launch 4/26. Hyrule Warriors: Definity Edition will launch 5/18 on the Switch. Arms is opening a ranked match mode from MArch 8th-8th with finals March 31st. At the end, you will be able to play for free for 3 days. There is also a new update for Splatoon 2 coming in late April featuring new gear, new stages, and a new Rank X. There is also an Octo Expansion coming for Splatoon 2 as well. The Nintendo Direct closes out with the announcement of Splatoon characters coming to Super Smash Bros in 2018 as well. It is also followed by a Switch logo.
Today is a morning full of announcements! On the official Japanese Twitter account for Monster Hunter World, an announcement was made for an upcoming broadcast on the 14th of this month. It will most likely concern the new addition of Deviljho and possibly some other surprises in what Capcom has already titled the "Free Title Update." You can take a look at that announcement trailer below and get ready for some more Monster Hunting action.
Bandai Namco has some bad news for Ni No Kuni fans tonight. After a few silent months, the studio has announced that the highly anticipated sequel will be delayed a second time, moving it's release date from January to March. The game was already delayed from an unspecified release date in November of his year before being moved to January. The reason is to ensure the game meets quality standards and to fine tune some new features including kingdom building and a skirmish game mode. Honestly, you have to respect Bandai and Level-5 for at least being up front about the delay. They care sincerely about the product they are making and if the delay ensures a great gaming experience then the wait will be worth it. The new release date is set for March 23rd, 2018 and you can take a look at the new voice over trailer posted today on Bandai's youtube.