After months, we finally get to see the first look at the Fantastic Beast sequel, which looks to be darker than the first. This includes Jude Law portraying Dumbledore as well as the return of Johnny Depp's Grindelwald, which was met with a lot of controversy following the reveal of the character actors role in the first film. The controversy even garnered a response from Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe himself. Take a look at the trailer below and get ready for more mystery and magic November 16th, 2018.
At the tail end of 2017, I wrote a post about the upcoming shake ups at DC. So it wasn't terribly shocking to read that actor Jesse Eisenberg is questioning his own future within the troubled expanding DC universe. While speaking with Variety, Eisenberg stated that hopes to return to the role but is uncertain following the end credit scenes of last years Justice League films. It's already been stated that the future of the Universe will not be lead by Jon Berg and there have been numerous rumors swirling around the replacement of roles for both Ben Affleck and Jared Leto, as well as the possibility of numerous spin off films that have nothing to do with the canon of the film universe including a possible young Joker film starring a completely different actor. DC has proven that at this point, they tried too hard to catch up to Marvel's box office domination by attempting to get their own Justice League film off the ground before establishing a strong roster. While many of their films pale in comparison to the monster box office runs of some of Marvel's hits, the rare exception is Wonder Woman, which seems like its going to survive regardless of the problems of the rest of the Universe. Either way, DC can either press on into unknown waters or possibly scrap everything and focus on what they have yet to put out like the Flash solo film and the upcoming Wonder Woman sequel. Either way, seems like no one is really sure of their place in DC's Universe so we will just have to wait and see.
After a lot of speculation, it appears as if Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins has confirmed former SNL alum Kristen Wiig as the main antagonist for the films sequel. Wiig will be playing Cheetah, a classic DC villain and longtime foe of Princess Diana. With the announcement came a lot of mixed reviews, with some stating that Wiig is not a strong fit for the role as she is known mostly for her comedic acting. The name in and of itself does carry some weight with it, considering Wiig was one of the more popular actors on SNL as well as having her breakout hit Bridesmaids back in 2011 and appearing is other films like The Martian, the Despicable Me series, and last years Downsizing. All in all, it's going to be very interesting to see what happens when we get some footage. If we've learned anything from Patty Jenkins, she certainly knows what she is doing when it comes to directing a big budget Super Hero film and if she can catch lightening twice with Wonder Woman 2, we will have nothing to worry about with Wiig as out villain.
There is a strong debate about the upcoming Super Smash Bros title and their could be some evidence pointing to a surprising move. After the announcement of the title coming to the Switch, a lot of fans couldn't help but notice the silhouette's showing what looks like a handful of new characters coming to the game, suggesting the possibility that this could be an entirely new titles and not just a port of the Wii U/3DS versions. Given that the last Super Smash Bros title was released back in September of 2014 and has not had an update in content since 2016. Since we know (from the trailer) that the Inklings as well as Breathe of the Wild will be included, Nintendo would be best off to include these characters in the formerly released titles as well. There is also the fact that Hal Labs is developing the title, taking the reigns from Bandai/Namco who made the Wii U/3DS titles. There's also MAsahiro Sakurai's tweet about the title, asking the fans to wait for more information. It it also surprising that Sakurai is returning for the Switch title, given how spent he was during the creation of the last game and how it was only 4 short years ago since it's release. This is also given the fact that there was seven years between the release of Melee and Brawl and five years between Brawl and Wii U/3DS title. All in all, people are going to be getting their hands on Super Smash Bros for the Switch so looks like we just have to sit tight and wait for more news as it comes.
It's hard to remember Super Smash Bro's latest release all the way back in 2014 but Nintendo is finally ready to release the game on their latest console, the Nintendo Switch. While it left a lot of fans scratching their heads wondering why Nintendo wouldn't launch the console with the popular fighting title, it seems like its still going to work out in everyone's favor. Not only has the Switch been a wildly successful console (selling around 16.7 million units in its first year), but the short teaser trailer showed up a glimpse of the new addition of the Inklings from Splatoon as well as the Breath of the Wild Link and a dark silhouette that will hopefully tease more characters to come. Hopefully we will see the addition of some new levels as well. Also, with the addition of so many 3rd party titles to the Switch roster including the upcoming Dark Souls port and the just announced Crash Bandicoot game, we could potentially see the addition of more famous video games faces from other series. The timing also makes sense considering we are just past the one year anniversary of the Switch launch so it is smart of Nintendo to shower their large fanbase with loads of announcements like today's Nintendo Direct. With the joy con controller and the portability of the Switch, the experience of Super Smash Bros will be elevated to the next level, offering multiple game play experiences. While we have no set date, we do know that it is coming in 2018 and I would not be shocked if we saw more of it come E3 and a probable release toward the fall months/holiday season. No word on whether or not the Super Smash Bros for the 3DS or the now discontinued Wii U would be receiving these updated characters.
Take a look at all the major Nintendo Switch and 3DS announcements here brought to you by Yoshiyaki Koizumi and the team at Nintendo!
- For the Nintendo 3DS, Warioware Gold featuring micro-games from the Wario series due out 8/3. Dillon's Dead-Heat Breakers is an action/tower defense title for the 3DS. It will also feature animal versions of player created mii characters. This title is due out on the eshop 5/24. Mario & Luigi: Bower's Inside Story has also been announced for the 3DS and will be out alongside a game mode for Bowser Jr in 2019.
- There is a very comical new trailer for Detective Pikachu, which is due out 3/23 and is available for pre-purchase today. There will also be two amiibos including one that is extra large of Deluxe Pikachu to be released the day of the games launch.
- Luigi's Mansion will now be released on the Nintendo 3DS. That will be launched on an unspecified date later this year.
- For the Nintendo Switch, a new trailer for next weeks Kirby Star Allies is shown off. Meta Knight, King Dedede, and other famous faces from the Kirby series will be allowed as in game allies. A demo for the title is available in the Switch eshop now.
- Okami is coming to the Nintendo Switch, allowing gamers to use either their finger tip or the detachable handheld controller for the brush strokes. Okami is coming to the Switch this summer.
- Sushi Strike: The Way of Sushido, a sushi battle/puzzle game is shown off and is due for both the Switch and 3DS 6/8.
- Octopath Traveler receives an update detailing new characters Tessa the Merchant as well as the Apothecary Alfen. We also learn more about the job customization and the official release date of 7/19 is announced alongside a special edition box set with an art books containing character bio's as well as a replica coin.
- Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes is shown again with a series of mini games that takes the protagonist from No More Heroes into some wild internet minigames.
- A new look at Dark Souls on the Switch is shown as well as an announced amiibo featuring the Solaire of Astera. Both come out 5/25.
- A new look at Mario Tennis Aces is shown off, announcing that there is more than 15 playable characters. The direct broadcast also covers some of the basic game play mechanics and various shots you can make including the Zone shot which allows you to aim with your Nintendo Switch to pick where you want the ball to land. The game will feature a pre-launch online tournament before its release 6/22.
- Switch headlines include Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker which will take Toad to levels based on locations from Super Mario Odyssey. A version will also come to the 3DS and will launch 7/13. A trailer is shown for Undertale on the 3DS as well. All 3 of the Crash Bandicoot titles are coming to the Nintendo Switch 7/10. Little Nightmares: Complete Edition, an eerie indie title is coming to the Switch 5/18. South Park: The Fractured but Whole is also coming to the Nintendo Switch including the DLC will be released throughout the year and the game will launch 4/26. Hyrule Warriors: Definity Edition will launch 5/18 on the Switch. Arms is opening a ranked match mode from MArch 8th-8th with finals March 31st. At the end, you will be able to play for free for 3 days. There is also a new update for Splatoon 2 coming in late April featuring new gear, new stages, and a new Rank X. There is also an Octo Expansion coming for Splatoon 2 as well. The Nintendo Direct closes out with the announcement of Splatoon characters coming to Super Smash Bros in 2018 as well. It is also followed by a Switch logo.
Entertainment Weekly has let loose 15 new covers ahead of the April release for Avengers: Infinity War and you can see a lot of amazing details on our favorite heroes new suits of armor. Of them, the most surprising is Iron Man's new look in the Bleeding Edge armor. You can take a look at the massive amount of heroes assembled from Marvel films throughout the years as well as an interview with Robert Downey Jr on the EW website here. Avengers: Infinity War debuts April 27th, 2018.
Today is a morning full of announcements! On the official Japanese Twitter account for Monster Hunter World, an announcement was made for an upcoming broadcast on the 14th of this month. It will most likely concern the new addition of Deviljho and possibly some other surprises in what Capcom has already titled the "Free Title Update." You can take a look at that announcement trailer below and get ready for some more Monster Hunting action.
It looks like we are getting a new Nintendo Direct this week and rumor has it that it might be a big one. Nintendo has been relatively quite going into 2018 but we are just four days from the one year anniversary of the wildly successful Switch launch, so it makes sense that Nintendo is going to focus on the handheld console hybrid. There have been a number of titles confirmed for Nintendo with no updates thus far including a main series Pokemon title. This would also make sense because I am more than sure Nintendo will have another impressive booth at this years E3 event, taking place in LA in June. Looks like we will just have to wait one more day to find out whats in store but get excited for some fun news and announcements for Nintendo.
It was no secret that the month of May was jam packed full of major studio releases, with Avenger: Infinity War, Deadpoool 2, and Solo all releasing within a matter of weeks of one another but it looks like Disney has made the right move with the latest Marvel film. It was announced today that the new release date for Infinity Wars has been moved up to April 27th, giving it one more full week for a box office run. This makes sense as Sueprhero films are also famously known to drop heavily in the following weeks after opening weekend (with exception of the historic box office run Black Panther is enjoying right now). All in all, the move if great, not just for the studio but for fans as well who are dying to see what might be the most dramatic and action packed Marvel film yet. So now we are just a little over 7 weeks away until what will be another of 2018's biggest releases. Are you excited for this move?